How to easily recover deleted pictures on your Android phone
Pictures that captured great moments of your life are usually worth a lot to you personally. Now that you mostly take photos with your smartphone, it can easily happen that you accidentally delete a very important one while getting rid of multiple other photos you don’t need to free up some space, for example. Seeing photos from your last holiday or trip with your partner just vanish from your gallery probably gives you that horrible feeling in your stomach as if you just lost your phone.
So if you’re the unlucky duck that deleted some important images, don’t get emotional just yet. There are ways to recover deleted images on Android phones. The most important thing to do first is turning off your data connection. That ensures that your phone doesn’t download new data from the web and overrides the part of your Android’s memory that stores the deleted images. Yes, deleting images doesn’t really delete them from your memory immediately. The deleted items are just not indexed anymore. However, they are not protected from being overwritten by new data.
Retrieve deleted images from your Android with “Wondershare Dr.Fone”
Although there are multiple ways to recover lost photos, I will focus on the tool from Wondershare. It’s very easy to use, doesn’t require you to download and install a mobile app which could override deleted images and it is able to root and later unroot your phone if it’s not rooted yet. If you’re not familiar with the term, rooting means getting administrator privileges and access to the root files of your Android device. Without that, recovering deleted files wouldn’t be possible. supports a large number of Android devices and can unroot your phone after the recovery so that the warranty is still valid.
Alright, let’s get your lost photos back! Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to Wondershare’s website and download Dr.Fone for PC or Mac. The software isn’t free (from $49.95) but you can download a free trial version. The trial version allows you to scan your phone but you need to buy a license in order to recover data. The free trial allows you to check if the lost images are actually still there. Once you found them, you can decide if it’s worth the money.
- Install the software on your computer and launch it afterwards.
- Now, it’s pretty straightforward. Connect your Android device to your computer.
- will now connect with your phone which takes a few seconds.
- Once that’s done, you’re asked what type of files you want to recover. Select ‘Gallery’, if all you need is your lost photos.
- You’re asked if you want to scan only for deleted files or for all available files on your phone. Choose the first option here. Only if this option doesn’t find your lost images, I would retry the whole process with the second option.
- Now you get informed that will use ‘One-click root’ to root your device (if not already rooted). After clicking ‘Start’, the tool will download some information about your device model and go through the rooting process (if needed). If your phone is already rooted, it will skip it.
- The next step is to give Superuser access on your phone. This allows the tool to access the root files.
- After granting Superuser access, starts scanning your phone’s memory for deleted images.
- Go get yourself a coffee, because this process will take a while.
- When the scanning process is done, you can select ‘Gallery’ in the left sidebar and scroll through all deleted images on your phone.
- You can select the ones you want to recover and click on the recover button. If you installed the free trial version, you’ll be asked to buy the full version which allows you to get your images back. If you deleted several photos and they have a lot of emotional value, you should consider paying for it. There is another method covered below that doesn’t cost you anything but is more risky and less thorough.
Recover lost pictures using DiskDigger
Although I really recommend using , not everyone has $50 lying around. You have similar chances to find and recover deleted images using the mobile app DiskDigger. Just like , it scans your phone’s memory for deleted items and you can browse through the results once the scan finished. However, there’s a small chance that installing DiskDigger deletes your lost pictures for good. Installing a new app needs available space on your phone and that space could be part of your lost images. This will probably not be the case, but you should know that this could happen.
Recover lost pictures using 7-Data Recovery Software
Recover Photos, Videos, and Files from Your Android Phone/Tablet and SD Card in It. Specially designed for Android system used by mobile phones and tablets/pads and SD card in Android devices, 7-Data Android Recovery effectively recovers photos, pictures, video, audio, documents, emails and other files from various Android devices on your Windows PC.